garota: We have acceded

random musings of a disparate nomad

Friday, April 14, 2006

We have acceded

To the Kyoto Protocol!

As a non-Annex I country, we won't actually be bound by collective emissions reductions obligations, or directly cut deals in the emissions trading barter.

But, this positive step (by this government!) to engage in the shared battle plan for climate change by the international community, to me, is just... fantastic. At the very least, we're now able to get involved in Clean Development Mechanism projects with Annex I-ers, and start the whole CER (Certified Emissions Reductions) ball rolling.

Simple things make me happy.

Next on my wish list: India and China get tagged as Economies-in-Transition, making them Annex I-ers. Do we have to wait til after 2012 though?

See also:
  • Singapore Law Blog post
  • Essential background on the relevant international agreements - a whoop-ass orientation for the uninitiated
  • Carbon Briefing by CO2e.com - a great resource for the market-oriented
  • A Kyoto Mechanisms 101 by the International Emissions Trading Association - easy reading


  • Ps. My Youth Environmental Envoy project proposal due in 24 hours - gah! Have yet to whip up some brilliant idea pulled out of my arse and plonked onto paper.


    Technorati: , ,

    1 Comments:

    Blogger onekell said...

    Isn't that just great news? It made my day too!

    15/4/06 18:25

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home

     

    garota productions 2005