garota: Serendipitous Connections

random musings of a disparate nomad

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Serendipitous Connections

Sometimes, in the most unexpected meanders of aimless wandering, connections are made that make me feel as though the entire world could be my (or anyone else's) friend.

30 hours ago I met a bunch of guys from Australia, USA, South Africa - on the train from Heathrow to central London. [Ed: In the pic, South African on the right, American on the left.] 10 hours ago some of us went drinking - and then dancing - near Chinatown. Turns out one of them is an orthopaedic surgeon from an entire family of doctors, and is interested in researching orthopaedic hand surgery. The things you don't see when you have only appearances to (mis)guide you. On Dr McGuire's consistent insistence, by the end of the night I had not paid a cent, from the first drink to the cab ride back.

But of course I'd gotten the street name wrong, and ended up getting off the cab no less than 3 stations off. So it was an refreshing turn of events when, wandering and lost at 2 in the morning, I managed to score an unsused bus pass from an extremely helpful transvestite/transsexual (I wasn't sure) person who gave me directions to the bus stop I needed. Before we parted, I couldn't help saying, "You are so beautiful." And the utter sincerity and appreciation in receiving that one little compliment.. just warmed my heart. All too often, it seems that we don't notice the battles that others struggle with, against the prejudices of society that sometimes we - as the (relatively) dominant - are ourselves guilty of.

Soon after, at the bus stop, I met a Persian guy doing his MBA at Westminster College. The bus ended up going so fast it didn't see us, and after deliberating between walking a half hour and waiting a half hour for a bus that might not stop for us, we ended up walking to Paddington (my station), en-route to Notting Hill (his). He apparently wants to change degrees and do architecture instead, rather than go down the beaten business track. I told him that I respected his courage in following his interests (at the wrath of the benefactors of his education - his parents), and he seemed surprised at the implicit encouragement from being a 'deviant'. Of course, I understood (that aspect of) his dilemma only too well.

***
Right now, back at the backpackers', the sun is rising, and I am falling from consciousness.

It's been an interesting night.

2 Comments:

Blogger eg9 said...

re compliment "beautiful" ...sometiems I want to tell them that, but I worry they will misinterpret well-intentioned praise for sarcasm.

*sigh*

Good on ya :)

15/8/05 16:49

 
Blogger garota said...

eg9: in person, it's difficult to misinterpret truly sincere body language. well, you never know til you try :)

then again - and this is rhetorical - should occurrences of misinterpretation stop us exercising the original rationale for continuing wanting to do so?

and, oh, eg9 - welcome to this space. :)

16/8/05 23:31

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

garota productions 2005