garota: (lost in the) streets of london

random musings of a disparate nomad

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

(lost in the) streets of london

Update.

I am now wandering Kensington High Street, hungry, tired, and online.

Earlier at the airport, I tried to get the travel agent to take responsibility for their mistake - the airline independently agrees - of "under-connecting" me. And arrange an alternative flight on their cost.

Nada. (The guy was in fact rather brusque with me, and challenged me to speak to his General Manager. Whatever.)

Called the Singapore High Commission in London. They would not intervene, but instead passively encouraged me to "stand up for my rights". Yes, [name removed] dear, but generally pressure from a national institution helps as opposed to a powerless random individual from nowhere, yes?

I was informed that the extension on my otherwise expired Singapore passport will not be recognised. So I'll have to use my Aussie one instead, which wouldn't be such a problem if Australian nationals didn't need a visa to enter Romania.

After putting my baggage in temporary storage at £5.50 apiece, I left the over-priced, hyper-paranoid safety net of Heathrow to fend my way around the London public transport system. Yes guys, the tube.

I got lost. Unsurprisingly. But I didn't get bombed.

And I made it to the Romanian embassy. (After asking about 15 random people on the street for directions - even other lost tourists, lol - but hey, who's counting.)

***
I've just come back from the Romanian embassy, who - after sending me to get passport-sized photos and buy travel insurance - tells me that the visa takes 48 hours to process, even in emergencies.

The guy didn't even want to accept my application at all (and after I'd gone out and shelled out for the stuff he asked for!); I had to nearly plead with him with my quivering anxious Asian female voice, which unfortunately was not put on. I haven't felt this vulnerable in some time.

Even if the visa gets approved by tomorrow arvo, I am due back at Heathrow by 2000 on the 29th, to catch my 2140 flight to Glasgow.

Is there any point clinging on?

***
It's almost 4. I think I deserve some lunch.

ps. Did I mention I'm stuck here without accommodation? Sleeping at the airport for 1 night (maybe 2, egad) sounds like fun.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone somewhat wiser once told me,

"If you have to run, you probably shouldn't be doing it."

27/7/05 01:27

 
Blogger Lemming said...

*GASP* The horror!!!
Do stay safe and well, just holler if you need any help watsoever dear! You have my number =P

27/7/05 02:26

 
Blogger Disjecta said...

Sweetie sweetie sweetie!
you need to be travelling with a GAY man hon...

seriously!

Keep warm and drink lots of water. Will make some phone calls to see if anyone can meet you in London?

hugs and kisses

27/7/05 02:33

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its good that you're putting this on your blog so i get to see what progress is being made.

the delays with the romanian embassy and with the airline sound like typical annoying bureaucracy to me! bah. but theres nothing you can do but comply is there. perhaps you should have put on the quivering asian voice...

lol. i hope you're doing okay.
i tried ringing you the other day on ur +61 number but no one picked up.

-jw

27/7/05 16:15

 
Blogger burn666 said...

Heya, haven't doing the blog rounds for a while so i thought i'd...

WHAT!!?? You're trapped in London? Geez, talk about lousy timing... ;)

Hey, (and i realise i'm not the first - nice friends you've got there!) if you need a hand with anything just give a holler, i've got loads of friends in London!

27/7/05 18:05

 
Blogger Chest Freezer said...

You go girl! Everyone's keeping tabs on you. I'm glad it's better now... *shudder*

27/7/05 19:15

 
Blogger Beach-yi said...

I wanted to say something but think i better not for the sake of my sanity.

27/7/05 23:17

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

garota productions 2005