garota: Speech Patterns

random musings of a disparate nomad

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Speech Patterns

In keeping with the theme of drama, in the Brasilian style caipirinha-induced stupor of a party in my hotel room, my baby got kicked off the table - 7 hours before I was due to speak. She didn't get any brain damage, or broken bones, but lost her sight completely. Along with my speech.

Was too smashed to work on it then, so I decided to sleep some of that cachaça off before waking up less than 3 hours before my panel was on. I took the opportunity to completely scrap the core of my original speech - on democracy and development in Singapore - to more closely match the panel theme: global democracy and youth.

I finished writing my last point as the speaker right before me was wrapping up his speech.

Whatever substance of my talk, if any, is a complete blur to me now.

I'm just glad the audience seemed to really like some of the stuff I said, and damn relieved it's over now.

Right now, as I fight the intoxication of yet another caipirinha, I must get some zz's before my flight to Curitiba in 9 hours.

Before I go, Parque Ibirapuera is just gorgeous - truly an oasis of calm and lush greens in the mad bustle of the city traffic. And the Museu do Afro-Brasil is amazing! I was particularly intrigued by the darkness of an installation by José Maria, and the earnest, most intricate African masks and sculptures that abound.

São Paulo, for the glimpse I caught of it, is an amazing city.


Ps. More insights on SP from touch-down, as well as on the conference, will be posted once my baby emerges in tip-top shape from the hospital. After I hit the States on 3rd Jan.

3 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Malkavian said...

How could you! You're not coming anywhere near my vivienne!

17/12/05 22:45

 
Blogger Beach-yi said...

You know, sometimes it does amazes people around you how you can pull all those last minute stuff convincly. Quite dumbfounding really.

But yeah put up your speech if it is not embargoed or anything.

18/12/05 01:29

 
Blogger garota said...

johnny m: it was my Brasilian translator, actually. but thanks for the empathy.

beach-yi: lol. i'll take that as a compliment. unfortunately, chicken scratches do not a speech transcript make. in fact i can't even remember where that scrap of paper is now. bah.

rench: will check out that book indeed.

zeuss: well, i did have more regular sleep patterns after the conference.. lol.

jw: thanks again. *heaps*.

14/1/06 16:05

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

garota productions 2005