garota: Brazil, baby!

random musings of a disparate nomad

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Brazil, baby!

For those who don't yet know - I'll be going to Brazil next month!

It's for a conference on democracy and political participation. And ... I'll be speaking (!).

The topic is human rights and economic development. More specifically, a critique of the argument that civil rights should be suppressed for the sake of economic development, in the context of SE Asia. To grotesquely over-simplify, think LKY vs Amartya Sen. (Wouldn't I love to put the both of them in a room.)

I'm rather nervous, this being my first major speaking engagement - and on such a scale. It doesn't help that I'm speaking next to a Harvard academic and a World Bank consultant, or that my speech could potentially bring me libel threats, detention and/or other such whimsical treats from our grand Party.

Currently putting my speech together, so if you want to share with me your burning thoughts/input on the topic, send them merrily along to ipanema.garota [at] gmail.com .


Technorati: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger rench00 said...

have you read Kishore Mabhubani's "Can Asians Think"? it has some interesting arguments about why civil rights should initially be suppressed for the sake of economic development, till such a time when the country is ready to have those same rights flourish again, which would then allow the nation to be brought to the next level of development.

26/11/05 20:56

 
Blogger garota said...

rench: i haven't, but i will. yes, i accept that this linear theory of development is one of the models through which it can be viewed.

28/11/05 04:43

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck!

6/12/05 21:46

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

garota productions 2005