garota: Transition to Citizenship

random musings of a disparate nomad

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Transition to Citizenship

Doesn't sound mersmerisingly creative, but that's this (penultimate) week's theme of the World Bank's WDR071 youth consultations.

Just sent off my contribution for the week, and thought it might be worth sticking it up here.

***

> 1. As a young person how do you wish to be involved and participate in
> public activities, including governance, decision-making and policy-making?
> What hindrances do you face when trying to participate in political and
> social life? How can you overcome them?

The first instinct would be to say "youth consultation". I think this mechanism has been practiced in several European and North American countries, and Singapore has also emulated it in recent years.

However, no matter which region you come from, there is the risk that (depending on the politicians directing the consultations) this becomes a tokenistic exercise. That is, to hold youth consultation for the sake of telling the press "we consult our youth on policy" rather than actually listening to us. This is where I think accountability measures need to be put in place, and more strongly enforced where they already exist. Like, you've consulted your youth - so what? Is there anything to show that youth concerns are being incorporated in national strategies? This is what I mean by accountability.

One way of ensuring ongoing youth input to policy-level decision-making is by formalising youth input into consulation mechanisms, this way, it is not only at the intelligence-gathering level that youth are allowed to speak, but further into formulation and perhaps even recommendations on policy text. But this is just one example - other areas of decision-making could also likewise formalise the structures for youth involvement.

Apart from tokenism from government, another 3 obstacles which have been mentioned are negative attitudes towards youth credibility, power-hungriness of authorities, and apathy from our own peers. The point I wanted to highlight was youth apathy.

I think there is somehting youth can do to target all 3 obstacles, and that is: to coordinate ourselves in an organised manner. And that must start by targeting youth apathy. By joining youth organisations and movements, we are adding our voice to the body that demands attention to youth concerns. It is only through numbers that we can build clout - Masahiko-chan has alluded to this. Sometimes, undemocratic governments will try to ignore us, but it does not change the fact that we are often more than 40% of the population. How does a nation ignore almost half of the country?

Also, being organised is very effective for building legitimacy in the public opinion; when they see that youth really care about certain issues, and are willing to put in time and effort for their cause, it develops a credibility that is hard to ignore.


> 2. What Practical solutions do you have for the problems experienced? How do
> you view ICTs as tools of transition to citizenship?

I've suggested some solutions above; as for ICTs - it is certainly very important and is crucial for democracy and e-governance. I don't need to list the obvious cost and outreach benefits of ICTs, but what I will raise is the reminder that a lot of our rural peers do not have such a luxury. In this regard, further investment in ICT infrastructure is necessary for greater youth participation and a stronger democracy.

Another consideration, even if ICT investment is increased, is the issue of censorship. Certain Asian countries (I will not name) practice censorship of varying degrees, and these tend also to have less-than-excellent civil rights records. So then it is important to think beyond ICT when organising a youth voice, and be creative in pushing the boundaries in our respective societies for more political freedom. (Of course this is easier said than done.)


> 4. Do you trust your government? How would you like it to be run? How would
> you like to be involved in governance? What changes would your like to see
> your government carry out?

I could be put in jail for answering this question in Singapore! Seriously though, I trust that my government - I say this with much generalisation and MUCH reservation - wants the best for my country. However there are issues with distribution of power, and the only one ruling party that has ever run Singapore is unwilling to yield to "western" democratic practices, decrying it as westernisation in a culturally negative way.

I would like my govt to be more democratic and transparent. I want my country's leaders to be accountable to the people, and to actually genuinely consult public opinion on all issues possible. I would like to be involved in advocating youth priorities in various issues in ways that the govt takes seriously and actually values (yes, I am idealistic). Finally, I would like them to respect fundamental civil and political rights to free expression. This is my dream. (And I'll keep dreaming as long as it takes!)


> 3. As a citizen do you believe that it is justifiable to use violence to
> achieve political or social goals? What other responsible options are
> available to you? Do they work?

No. At no point do I feel there exists any justification for violence to achieve political or social goals. If for whatever cause you may think is noble, you end up betraying peace itself and harm other fellow human beings, then (I feel) you have really lost the plot.

Other responsible options? I think this is very culture- and context- dependent. For example in developed nations I would say that creative non-violent street theatre may be a creative way of working towards certain goals, whereas in others, there may need to be a lot more effort and time invested into grassroots education and mobilising, peer-to-peer/community awareness campaigns that take time to build - and to see any difference.


> 5. Do you believe you are a full citizen of your country? How do you
> participate in your country's affairs? Do you belong to any forums?

I do believe I am a full citizen of my country - because I love Singapore. Yet I do not know if Singapore loves me. This is actually a sentiment of many Singapore youth who have gone overseas to study - they are more vocal on political/social issues but the govt does not like that because it "disrupts the peace and internal security of the country".

As for participation in country affairs, I was involved in Singapore's landmark youth consultation exercise, where some youth recommendations were actually implemented (of course none of it had to do with civil rights). I am also currently setting up a Singapore youth Council to represent and advocate for the voice of Singapore youth, in policy matters. Wish me luck!


1 World Development Report 2007

Technorati: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chest Freezer said...

I love Singapore! ;)... Okay that was slightly off the gun. But the first thing that came to mind.

7/11/05 09:40

 
Blogger garota said...

me too! :P [recall cool quote that akikonomu commented here sometime back ;) ]

9/11/05 05:30

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

garota productions 2005