garota: UnRavelling

random musings of a disparate nomad

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

UnRavelling

Last night I caught the UNSW Orchestra's performance of Grieg's Morgenstimmung, conducted by Colin Piper, and Ravel's Piano Concerto, conducted by Steven Hillinger.

Been a while since I'd had any contact with live classical music performance, and it made me realise how much I'd missed it.

It was an "ok" performance, I thought - much better than the concert band's right before, thank goodness - but rather shy of the standard we used to play at. The horns used to be *so* much better (that mortifying solo!), the woodwinds more in tune, upper strings more together. Then again, the flute and cor anglais solos were really quite well done in the Ravel - though I'm being more suayed by their tone, rather than technique.

Times like these, I wish Darren (and Aaron!) was around so he could give their blow-by-blow accounts (literally, for the winds) on each phrase and dynamic. There's so much on music analysis I could learn from them, and they always makes it so interesting to listen. Miss them, and Garçon.

But I miss playing trumpet more. :(

Ps. Yikes. My posts are getting more and more degenerate. Soon I will have to just lay off completely, for a good while. So I can ramble to myself, like this, in private. Lol.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read this, Warwick uni reject setting up in Sg due to concerns of freedom of expression:

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2005-10-19T104327Z_01_KNE938591_RTRUKOC_0_UK-SINGAPORE-UNIVERSITY-FREEDOM.xml&archived=False

20/10/05 01:51

 
Blogger rench00 said...

i like your more personal posts too!

20/10/05 13:23

 
Blogger burn666 said...

Likewise! ;)

20/10/05 17:15

 
Blogger garota said...

ted: after the initial jaw-drop, i thought this was a really good signal to the govt to rethink their approach to "security". this is actually quite relevant to the debate on counter-terrorism and human rights. wonder if unsw sg might do the same... (though i doubt it, since plans are already under way)

rench00 & burn666: actually, the same applies :)

21/10/05 03:47

 
Blogger Disjecta said...

Hi sweetie,

well...I wouldn't put it as a 'blow by blow' account...those are reserved for err..other special moments. ;)

Truthfully, I haven't been attending concerts on a regular basis either. It's always bad timing and well, the Singapore Symphony ain't that inspiring to listen to either.

Hope all is well! Hugz

Darren

25/10/05 02:50

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

garota productions 2005