garota: Dash for the (air)bus

random musings of a disparate nomad

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Dash for the (air)bus

QF538 SYD-PER 1925 hrs

Even after the numerous, numerous flights of the last 2+ years, it seems that there are just some things I never – or perhaps, subconsciously refuse to – learn. Like arriving at the airport at least 30 minutes (I know, I’m terrible) before my flight (domestic, of course).

Take today.

[Ed: Yes, I realised the formatting is wonky. I'm looking into it..]

1610    Still on yahoo with benjipc
1748    Start packing
1813    Do the put-toiletries-into-itty-bitty-containers thing
1815    Crap. Gotta hurry up.
1830    Still dare to happily eat my cereal
1838    Fuck! How did I take so long? [Flurry of mobile keypad sounds] [on speaker, while dressing] "… Kensington. To domestic airport. 1 person. Yes, ring on my mobile please. Thanks!"
1844    Settle key (literal) issues with housemate; hug housemate goodbye. "Erh… are you running late?" "[Lol] Yah. See how lor. I try to worm my way, as always. I’ll call you when I’m back home – I got your Sing number right – yup – ok bye!"
1850    [Downstairs] Cab still not here. [Flurry of mobile keypad sounds] "Hi! I called for a cab and it hasn’t come… " [4 agonising minutes later] "The address was recorded wrongly. Your cab is looking for you now, [garota]." "Thanks heaps!"
1856    "Yup, domestic airport. Can I ask a favour of you – go as fast as you allow yourself to."
1906    Departure/Arrival signs come into view. "Hey, you’re pretty good!"
1908    "Thank you so much – don’t worry about the change!"
1909    Need. Boarding. Pass. Queues everywhere. Crap. Ok. Just go straight in to Security. Don’t care.
1911    [Baggage check guy stops me.] "Whoa! You sure you can bring in such a big bag in?" Ok. Just tell a white lie. You have no choice. "Well, sure, I’ve done it before…"
1913    [Another baggage guy lifts my backpack suspiciously] "Is this yours? – You’ll need to come round the front and scan it again because you’ve got a laptop inside." Sigh. Not once. Just give it up already.
1915    Sign overhead: QF538 PERTH – FLT CLSED Fuck!! Keep moving, keep moving… [Excessive noise from wonky wheels attract strange looks.]
1916    [At the gate counter itself] “Hi! I was told to show my photo ID..." Damn, another white lie.
1917    "Oh dear. Your baggage definitely needs to be checked in. [A few seconds later, handing boarding pass to me] No worries, we’ve taken care of it – you’re good to go. Enjoy the flight!"
1918    "Will passengers [garota] and … please proceed to Gate 10 for immediate boarding."

***
And now it’s 2127 Sydney time. Listening to Ella’s Gone With The Wind, on Qantas’ top-notch hi-tech headphones. Did you know it works with a laptop too? – Catch being you can only hear from one side because of the 2-pin airplane headphone jacks. [Note to self: I need to get me a decent pair.] Dinner of coriander chicken was alright (by airplane food standards). I should get some sleep. (You can tell by my rambling here.) It’s been … 30 odd hours since.

Looking forward to ed con, QC, Nic and Mie.

Update: After being asked my travel plans one too many times, I’ve decided to paste the old Trotter Calendar back up – with updates on the next 6 weeks. Nah.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chest Freezer said...

Amazing. You learn something new everyday. :D Hat's off to you.

I'm gaping in amazement and wonder at your antics.

29/6/05 14:00

 
Blogger garota said...

chest freezer: heh. all i can say is, :P

5/7/05 02:49

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

garota productions 2005