garota: Extolling the Virtues of VSU

random musings of a disparate nomad

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Extolling the Virtues of VSU

Voluntary Student Unionism. What the hell is the big deal about it anyway?

Those raving radicals on campus, the articles they write, the million anti-VSU posters all over campus - all screaming the same message: VSU is evil. It must be stopped.

But why, I wonder?

The loopy hippies have given reasons, reasons and more reasons to fight the pending legislation. Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn about VSU. Or the consequences of it, that the lefties at the Student Guild are so flustered about.

I don’t care for the clubs and societies; I’m not even active in any of the gazillions I’m in. Lots of my friends at uni are, and care a lot about them. But that’s none of my business.

I don’t care for the cafeteria discounts. 10% can’t be that much.

I don’t care for the free legal advice. I know a couple of friends who would’ve been in serious trouble if not for it. But that’s none of my business - I’ll never be in that situation.

I don’t care for Orientation. Sure, those poor rich international students from Singapore probably do, and anyone else from a different culture in the same bag. But that’s none of my business - I’m not international, or rural, or new (anymore).

I don’t care for childcare. I’ve heard a lot of postgrads with families rely on them to continue studying. But that’s none of my business - I don’t have a kid.

I don’t care for equity programs. I’m sure lots of students from developing countries need them in order to get an education here. But that’s none of my business - I’m not Third World.

I don’t care for counselling. Yen from Law and that complicated Bern from Psych needed it when they went through a hard time last year, I heard. But that’s none of my business - I’m not weak like them.

Least of all, I don’t care for a “student voice” - whatever that is. I’m happy with the way things are, and don’t see why everyone else shouldn’t be. And even if I’m not, what can one measly individual do. It’s just pointless. The same way it is trying to tell Howard to be fair to homosexuals, or grant asylum to refugees.

So if you’ll hand me back my 250 dollars, thank you very much, I’ll be on my way to get me some beers. ‘Cause, that’s what being a student is all about - isn’t it?

***
[Ed: deliberately left this out at first, but here is one last bit] --


I should get some sleep. The anti-VSU National Day of Action (NDA) begins in 5 hours. Details via adrianwong.org

Bernise will be speaking at the rally. Wish her luck.

I'll see you there.


TT: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because you dont care doesnt mean its the right thing for society to ignore.

Your individualistic and ignorance is a clear reflection of an increasingly 'sad' society we live in. Don't get me wrong... its not a a wrong opinion... you are entitled to yours...

I could answer all your thoughts in various areas of VSU you have raised one by one... but i'm late for work now... maybe i will post it later in my blog, in response to yours... hopefully you are open minded about these things.....

plus there is NDA today.. maybe you care enough to hear the story of the other side first hand??

unless of course, this post meant to be satirical in nature (which i was inclined to believe at first instance)

28/4/05 08:22

 
Blogger garota said...

You were right - in the first instance. Happy NDA tedsta.

28/4/05 08:31

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need a dictionary to understand your bloggings! Aiyoh. My head is paining.

30/4/05 16:36

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, the head that is paining belongs to Stryfer.

*muah*

30/4/05 16:37

 
Blogger Chest Freezer said...

OMG.. heh. If I weren't in the office I'd be raising my hands and making whooping noises. *GRIN*

Excellent post. What the hell...there I did it. *raised hands and made whooping noises*

There's more to read, so I'll post more soon.

5/5/05 18:30

 
Blogger garota said...

Stryfer: lol. poor thing. now, please identify yourself. :)
chest freezer: thanks, and what a cool nick!

8/5/05 07:53

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

garota productions 2005